Sunday, August 9, 2009

Relay for Life 2009

This past Friday Chad & I, along with the kids had the opportunity to participate in the Des Moines Co Relay for Life at the hospital lake. If you have never been it is a great time and a great way to raise money for cancer research, we have been involved for the last 6 years. The weather Friday morning was not good, I was afraid the Relay would be in the basement of the hospital, but by 3 the sun was out and we got to walk around the lake. Luminaries are placed around the walk way of the lake and lit at dusk. It is such a beautiful site to see, on one side of the lake they spell Hope with the luminaries, they also display the names on the side of the hospital. Cancer has effected my family and many of my friends families. I feel blessed to be able to participate for a cause that is so near and dear to my heart. I am hoping next year to be more involved and I would like to attend some of this years ACS (American Cancer Society) committee meetings to be able to do more to help raise money to find a cure! If anyone wants to participate next year please let me know!

This year we walked in memory of my Grandma Hopson and in honor of my Aunt Bettie. I love them both so much and I know my Grandma is watching over us.

My Aunt Bettie's luminary

My Grandma Hopson's luminary

No comments: